Life Changes and Your Benefits
A change in your life - like getting married, having a baby, or losing health coverage - makes you eligible to change your benefits outside the yearly Open Enrollment period. You must begin this process within 30 days of the qualifying event.
Here is a list of qualifying life events:
- birth or adoption of a child(ren)
- death of an immediate family member
- loss or gain of insurance coverage by your spouse's employer-sponsored coverage termination of employment
Depending on your type of life change, you may also need to update your record to change your name, address or tax withholding. See a web page with details about updating your record.
How to Change Your Benefits
Remember to begin this process within 30 days of the qualifying event (for example, within 30 days of your marriage). Please note:
- Once you make your election, your window closes.
- You cannot future date your event.
- If you wait more than 30 days, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make changes.
To change your benefits:
- Go to My VUMC Benefits
- Log in with your VUnetID and ePassword
- Scroll down to the section titled My Life Changes (Family Status Changes)
- Click on Declare a Life Change
- Click on your qualifying event and then follow the instructions.
Have questions? Need help?
Contact the Employee Service Center.